Client Case Studies
Collaborative editorial approach generates a high level of positive response from readers
Prophit, located in Green Bay, Wis., is a marketing firm and a publisher of inspirational books with titles that include The Dignity-Based Franchise and The Brander-in-Chief. More information is available at prophit.com
Joe Kiedinger, CEO at Prophit, approached Tim about providing editorial assistance for the publishing of Boomerang! Leadership Principles That Bring the Customer Back, a book on business leadership by Dave Skogen, chairman of the board and former president and CEO of Skogen’s Festival Foods. Joe had worked with Dave in creating an initial draft and reached a point where assistance was needed with such aspects as additional content development and ensuring the consistency of the author’s voice throughout the manuscript.
Over a period of about a year, Tim worked closely with Joe and Dave in assisting with the development of the manuscript, which included reviewing and editing chapters and providing guidance on the book’s structure as well as on new chapters and other content additions. He also worked closely with the book’s designer in providing suggestions for image selections and various layout and design elements, and he wrote the copy for the book jacket.
Since its publication, Boomerang! has generated a high level of positive response from readers. Tim has contributed to the book’s strong reception by assisting Prophit with various publicity and promotion initiatives. These included creating and distributing a press release to news media outlets nationwide and spearheading efforts to place the book in retail locations with a national bookseller.
“Tim Solinger played an instrumental role as project editor in the development and publication of Boomerang! Leadership Principles That Bring the Customer Back. Tim’s chief task was to make sure that the author’s unique voice was preserved throughout the manuscript, as well as to attend to related editorial tasks to ensure the highest quality end result possible. The extremely positive responses from readers are an indicator of the valuable contributions that Tim made to this book.”
Integrated approach strengthens market presence and media visibility
H.O. Wolding is a short, regional and long-haul trucking company based in Amherst, Wis., and has been in business for more than 75 years. The company combines forward-looking technology with safe, environmentally responsible and efficient practices in serving customers nationwide. The company is also an EPA Smartway Partner, and it continually works to reduce the carbon footprint of its fleet by investing in new equipment, transportation technologies and auxiliary power units.
After deciding that it needed outside help to strengthen its market presence and improve its ability to attract additional drivers. H.O. Wolding contacted Full Sail Writing & Editing Services for assistance.
Following several meetings and discussions with the management of H.O. Wolding, Tim created an integrated marketing communications plan to help the company meet its market presence and growth objectives. The plan was gradually implemented and consisted of the following components:
- A news media release, distributed throughout Wisconsin, announcing the company’s plans to hire more drivers.
- A lead-generating postcard that was sent to driver prospects in a 10-county area of Wisconsin to promote the company’s driver recruitment open house event.
- A display ad that ran in several area publications promoting the open house.
- A news media release, distributed throughout Wisconsin and nationally, announcing the company’s offer to provide CDL school scholarship assistance to veterans wishing to pursue a career in truck driving.
- Outdoor advertising in the Fox Cities (Wisconsin) to attract driving candidates.
- A wallet card to be used by drivers when referring driver candidates to the company.
- A news media release, distributed throughout Wisconsin and nationally, announcing the company’s new practical pay program.
Following implementation of the plan, H.O. Wolding realized the following:
- Strong attendance at the company’s driver recruitment open house, which resulted in the recruitment of additional drivers providing greater ability to serve customers’ transportation needs and to pursue new business opportunities.
- Increased market awareness across Wisconsin through the combined impact of the company’s outdoor and print advertising efforts.
- Improved media visibility throughout Wisconsin as a result of a press release that ran in several newspapers and an article that appeared in a regional business publication.
- Increased business following implementation of the integrated marketing plan.
“H.O. Wolding is a trucking company that has been in existence for over 70 years, based in the small central Wisconsin community of Amherst. With Tim’s help and expertise, we’ve been able to create an awareness throughout the area of who we are. Through periodic press releases and articles, Tim has kept our area and others across the country abreast of what’s happening with our company, and as a result his efforts have helped us with the recruitment of new drivers and in the acquisition of new business. I would highly recommend Tim to any business that needs someone in a marketing capacity.”
Director of Operations
Increased market visibility and penetration achieved through integrated approach
Innovative Management Tools, LLC, (IMT) is a training firm that offers change management assistance to businesses and other organizations. Through customized training sessions, the company helps managers, supervisors and other workers better adapt to downsizings, mergers, acquisitions, departmental restructurings and other changes.
IMT training sessions provide information and action steps that attendees can apply in their organizations the very same day. These sessions are practical, engaging, motivational and flexible to ultimately help organizations better effect successful change. The sessions are supported by training kits, which the company produces and distributes.
IMT techniques are marketed to companies and other organizations as well as to consultants wishing to license them to complement the change management approaches they currently use with clients.
Patrick Seaton, founder and president of Innovative Management Tools, decided that he needed assistance with developing and executing an integrated marketing plan to introduce his firm to the market. Prior to formally launching his business, he had mainly marketed IMT over the course of several years through personal contacts and one-on-one presentations. He also during this time developed kit materials for each of his training modules.
After several preliminary discussions, Patrick chose Full Sail Writing & Editing Services as its marketing partner to help with its official launch. Tim assisted Patrick with developing an integrated marketing approach that initially focused on IMT’s three core markets: corporations, trade associations and management consultants. The plan relied on a combination of direct marketing and publicity, focusing strictly on Wisconsin prospects and geographic areas. In assisting Patrick in a consulting and creative services role, Tim provided the following:
- Enhanced positioning language to further establish IMT as a provider of effective change management techniques.
- Introduction/lead-generating letter to corporations and other organizations.
- Introduction/lead-generating letter to industry associations.
- Introduction/lead-generating letter to business consultants.
- Flyer describing individual change management sessions or modules.
- Flyer describing licensing fee program information for business consultants.
- Press release to a number of news media outlets throughout Wisconsin announcing launch of IMT.
- Short profile article on Patrick Seaton and IMT that appeared in Corporate Report Wisconsin, at the time the state’s leading business magazine.
- White paper on change management in small business.
- Press release to all Wisconsin daily newspapers and business publications as well as select national small business publications announcing the availability of the white paper.
At the conclusion of the various marketing and publicity projects, Innovative Management Tools realized the following:
- A strategic, comprehensive marketing communications plan that targeted the company’s three key market segments: corporations, trade associations and management consultants.
- Refined positioning related to the company’s three target markets.
- More time for Patrick to devote to his most critical operating priorities.
- Greater awareness in the company’s target markets.
“As a new business selling consulting services and management tools to all types of businesses, it was very important to get the proper positioning and tone in my first company introduction letters. Working with a seasoned writer like Tim was a great experience. He was able to take all of my comments about our products, the company philosophies, and how they fit in a business setting and turn these into letters that fit the style I was looking for.”
Innovative Management Tools